v5.2.1 (September 10, 2016)
- Hotfix: disabling the thumbnail preview on hover caused the preview to not be displayed when clicking on a combined taskbar group.
v5.2 (September 9, 2016)
- Added support for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 14393).
- Added the following supported values for the Mouse Button Control advanced options:
volumeicon - allows to customize actions for volume tray icon click.
showdesktop - allows to customize actions for the Show Desktop button.
- Implemented the virtual_desktop_order_fix advanced option for Windows 10. The option preserves the order of the taskbar buttons when switching between virtual desktops.
- Implemented the tray_icons_padding advanced option for Windows 10.
- Fixed the multipage_wheel_scroll advanced option, which didn't work when the mouse was over the empty space of the taskbar.
- Updated tray icon, with anti-aliasing and better support for high DPI.
The icon was designed by Daniel Beardsmore. Thanks!
- Added Slovak translation, by Vladimír Kubala.
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
v5.1 (December 4, 2015)
- Added support for The First Major Update of Windows 10 (build 10586).
- Fixed rearranging of Taskbar Inspector items when the scrollbar is visible.
- Windows 10: when using the disable_topmost option, bring the taskbar to the foreground when the Windows key is pressed.
- Improved the English dialog for high DPI.
- Fixed: when closing a window with a middle click, if the window had an "are you sure?" message, the tweaker didn't always bring it to the foreground.
v5.0 (August 22, 2015)
- Windows 10 support.
I want to thank everybody who donated for the porting effort: Mike T, Fraser Ntukula, and other contributors.
- Fixed compatibility with the KB3072318 update for Windows 8.1.
- Improved compatibility of pinned items with the option to disable grouping.
- Added the disable_tray_icons_drag advanced option, which disables the drag operation of notification area items, i.e. makes reordering of items impossible.
- Added the w10_large_icons advanced option, which changes taskbar icon sizes from 24x24 to 32x32 on Windows 10.
- Added the cycle_same_virtual_desktop advanced option, which tweaks the Left click on combined item option to cycle only through windows that belong to the current virtual desktop.
- Added a new option for the disable_taskbar_transparency advanced option, which allows to use the basic theme taskbar color (Windows 7).
- Added Mouse Button Control options to maximize/restore a taskbar item, and to maximize/restore all buttons of a group.
- Improved the no_width_limit advanced option to work for multiple monitors.
- Fixed the disable_items_drag advanced option, which caused the thumbnail previews to not appear.
- Fixed: when the disable_topmost advanced option was on, the start button could get stuck in hovered state on Windows 7.
- A custom icon ("7+ Taskbar Tweaker.ico", if exists) is now applied for the main window as well.
- Korean translation, by Metrics Spec.
v4.5.10 (April 7, 2015)
- Added an automatic update feature, which can be enabled from the settings dialog.
- Added the disable_items_drag advanced option, which disables the drag operation of taskbar items on the task list.
- The tweaker now prevents explorer from changing AppIDs of folder windows when the current AppID is a random AppID (random_group_xxxxxxxx). This does not work if the folder window runs in a separate process.
- Fixed: sometime decombining didn't work when taskbar animations are disabled.
- Fixed an issue of the MinHook library, which could prevent the tweaker from working.
- Fixed several crashes.
v4.5.8 (February 27, 2015)
- Quick fix: fixed an incompatibility with several other tweaking programs.
v4.5.7 (February 26, 2015)
- Added the no_start_btn_spacing advanced option, which allows to control the spacing size when the start button is hidden.
- Added a new advanced option, right_drag_toggle_labels, which was always turned on with the "Drag within/between groups using right mouse button" option.
- Added a new advanced option, show_desktop_on_hover, which makes the taskbar to show desktop when a file is dragged over it (similar to Windows XP).
- Improved the disable_topmost advanced option in Windows 7.
- If the file "7+ Taskbar Tweaker.ico" exists, it's used as a tray icon.
- Finnish translation of the program and the help file, by Viligg.
- Small fixes.
v4.5.6 (November 22, 2014)
- Added the "disable_taskbar_transparency" advanced option.
- Added the "always_show_tooltip" advanced option, which forces a tooltip to be shown on hover, even if the text fits the taskbar button.
- Improved startup time for the case when only specific, lightweight options are used.
- Fixed a possible crash.
v4.5.5 (October 31, 2014)
- Made 7+ Taskbar Tweaker compatible with the 7+ Taskbar Tweaking Library.
- Mouse Button Control: added options to minimize/close all items of a button group.
- Fixed a crash with the "Middle click -> Minimize" option, which wasn't completely fixed in v4.5.4.
- Improved the "disable_topmost" advanced option.
v4.5.4 (October 4, 2014)
- Fixed the "Combining" option.
- Fixed a crash with the "Middle click -> Switch to", "Middle click -> Minimize" options.
- Fixed: the combination of the "Middle click" and "Left click on combined item" options didn't work correctly.
v4.5.3 (October 2, 2014)
- Fixed a crash (Windows 8.1 Update 1 was not affected).
v4.5.2 (October 1, 2014)
- Improved support for taskbar items of Metro applications.
- Improved the disable_topmost advanced option.
- Implemented an additional configuration setting for the disable_topmost advanced option, which allows to configure maximized windows to overlap the taskbar.
- Improved the "Decombine: Active group" option when interacting with the task list (e.g. with a middle click).
- Improved compatibility of Mouse Button Control advanced options with the following options: Pinned items -> Open with double click, Left click on combined item -> Cycle through windows.
- Fixed: the scroll_maximize_restore advanced option didn't work correctly for IE (and probably for other programs which use multiple thumbnail previews for a single window).
- Fixed a crash.
v4.5.1 (June 27, 2014)
- New advanced option: disable_topmost, which allows you to make the taskbar non-topmost.
- New advanced option: multirow_equal_width, which forces the items on every row of a multirow taskbar to have the same width.
- New advanced option: scroll_maximize_restore, which extends the "minimize/restore when mouse is over..." option to switch between minimize/restore/maximize.
- Fixed a crash for the drag_towards_desktop=5 advanced option on Windows 8.1 Update 1.
v4.5 (May 10, 2014)
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 support.
I want to thank everybody who donated for the porting effort: Charles George, Justin Shillock (Platypus Man), and other contributors.
- Improved compatibility with the "focus follows mouse" accessibility option.
- Fixed a bug which prevented the thumbnail preview from closing under certain circumstances.
- Fixed a rare bug when the shift or ctrl key became stuck.
- Fixed: the main dialog didn't look correctly with the classic theme (Windows 7) for the following languages: Czech, German, Italian, Polish, Russian.
- Fixed: explorer could crash under certain circumstances.
v4.4.6 (February 22, 2014)
- Fixed the list_reverse_order advanced option for cases where the list contains lots of items and scrolling arrows are added.
- Fixed, when using mouse wheel volume control: if a dialog other than the volume control is open (e.g. the Volume Mixer), mouse scroll didn't bring it to front.
- Added a short delay before checking for an update. This might have fixed a crash which occurred when the PC woke up.
- Fix: after clicking on the taskbar, volume control was launched even if the mouse is not inside the taskbar.
- Fix: some windows couldn't be restored from the minimized state.
- Japanese translation, by milksizegene.
v4.4.5 (January 5, 2014)
- Hotfix: tray clock wasn't responsive to mouse hover events.
v4.4.4 (January 4, 2014)
- New advanced option: list_reverse_order, which allows to reverse the displaying order of items in the preview list. To be used with the option Hovering -> List.
- New advanced option: w7_show_desktop_classic_corner, which fixes a bug of Windows 7: when the classic theme is used, clicking on the screen corner where the "Show desktop" button is located doesn't activate the button.
- Mouse Button Control: options to cycle through windows by clicking the empty space of the taskbar.
- When the Task Switcher window (Alt+Tab) is open, mouse scroll events aren't being captured by the taskbar.
v4.4.3 (December 17, 2013)
- Fixed: on Windows 8/8.1 64-bit, clicking on a decombined button opens thumbnail preview instead of switching to the corresponding window.
- Fixed: the no_width_limit advanced option didn't work on Windows 7 if the start button was hidden.
v4.4.2 (December 15, 2013)
- New advanced option: tray_icons_padding, which allows to customize the horizontal padding between icons in the notification area.
- New advanced option: no_width_limit, which removes the minimum width limitation of the vertical taskbar.
- When the option to open pinned items with a double click is turned on, it's now possible to launch applications with Shift+click as well.
- Advanced options now have more priority than regular options, e.g. if you customize the same key in the main window and in the Advanced Options Editor, the latter will apply.
- The installer launches the tweaker as non-elevated, even if the installer itself was run as administrator.
- Bug fixes.
v4.4.1 (November 29, 2013)
- New advanced option: show_desktop_button_size, which allows to customize the size of the "Show desktop" button.
- Mouse Button Control: an option to terminate the process associated with a specific window.
- The Advanced Options Editor is now modeless, i.e. doesn't block the main window.
- Fixed a serious bug which could lead to a crash or a failure to initialize if both:
1. More than one instance of the tweaker is being used on the PC (e.g. multiuser environment).
2. One or more of the "Mouse wheel" options is being used.
- Minimal support for SysInternals Desktops.
v4.4 (November 12, 2013)
- New option: Hide the Start button.
- New option: Show Start menu/Start screen on double/middle click on the empty space.
This option is also available for the Mouse Button Control and Keyboard Shortcuts advanced options.
- Advanced Options Editor. (See Advanced options in help file for more details.)
- New advanced option: drag_towards_desktop, which was available as a check box.
It's not available from the main interface anymore, but the new option provides more customization.
- Mouse Button Control: an option to show thumbnail previews.
- Fixed: the window background was shown in high contrast mode.
- Fixed: volume control sometimes appeared in a wrong location.
v4.3.1 (October 18, 2013)
- New registry option that allows to hide the start button (currently works only for Windows 8.1).
- New registry option that allows to scroll a multipage taskbar with the mouse wheel.
- Improved tooltips on hover: removed delay after the first tooltip.
- Fixed: Taskbar Inspector doesn't overlap the taskbar when it's set to auto-hide.
- Arabic translation, by Cyb3r.
v4.3 (October 4, 2013)
- Windows 8.1 support.
- Taskbar Inspector: you can use Ctrl+C to copy selected items as text.
- New registry options, scroll_reverse_cycle and scroll_reverse_minimize, which allow you to reverse the mouse wheel direction for certain tweaks.
- Fixed a bug that caused taskbar icons to flicker for certain configuration when the taskbar is full.
- Fixed a bug that could cause explorer to hang when Taskbar Inspector is open.
- Fixed: Mouse Button Control options didn't work for X1/X2 mouse buttons, and sometimes didn't work correctly for double clicks.
v4.2.7 (July 18, 2013)
- Labels on thumbnails are now displayed for items that were set to never show labels on the taskbar.
- Added a new registry option, always_show_thumb_labels, which makes labels on thumbnails always visible.
- Greek translation, by George Georgiou (Γιώργος Γεωργίου).
v4.2.6 (June 02, 2013)
- Improved closing with a middle click - if a notification is shown before closing, the window is brought to the foreground.
- Improved handling of hung windows.
- Fixed a possible crash caused by the "When not grouping, place new items next to the existing ones" option.
v4.2.5 (May 14, 2013)
- Added Keyboard Shortcuts advanced options. See help for more details.
- Improved reordering between groups using the right mouse button.
- When closing a window with a middle click, allow it to gain focus.
- Fixed the tooltip volume control registry option.
- Added access key shortcuts (Alt+X) to the tray icon right click menu.
v4.2.4 (April 30, 2013)
- Made volume control compatible with the Volume Mixer.
- Reverted a fix for Windows 7, which appears to be incompatible with other apps such as QTTabBar (now available as a registry option).
- Fix: the option to not show jump list when dragging made thumbnails appear in an incorrect position.
v4.2.3 (April 26, 2013)
- Registry option: fix taskbar buttons rearrangement caused by hung windows. Enabled by default.
- Turkish translation of the help file, by Fatih Fırıncı.
- Fix: use a more reliable injection method. Previously, the tweaker could silently fail to inject.
- Fix: wait until explorer is completely initialized before attempting to inject.
v4.2.2 (April 16, 2013)
- Fixed a serious bug that could lead to an explorer crash when Taskbar Inspector is open.
- Turkish translation update.
v4.2.1 (April 14, 2013)
- Fix: apply correct width when showing seconds on the tray clock. Mostly affects users of classic theme with small icons preference.
- Registry option: fix clock width, which is wider than it should be, when using small icons.
v4.2 (April 13, 2013)
- New option: Display seconds on the tray clock.
- New option: Don't show jump list when dragging a taskbar item towards the desktop.
- Simplified Chinese translation of the help file, by horan.
- Improved the "decombine active group"/"decombine on mouse hover" options compatibility with jump lists.
- Improved the injection method.
- Small fixes.
v4.1.8 (April 1, 2013)
- Quick fix: clicking the clock doesn't work on Windows 7.
v4.1.7 (April 1, 2013)
- Macedonian translation, by Милан Велковски.
- Small fixes.
v4.1.6 (March 23, 2013)
- Right Click -> Standard window menu: Applies for keyboard as well (Windows + T -> Menu key).
- Mouse Button Control: Fixed double click control (See help for more information about the option).
v4.1.5 (February 22, 2013)
- Serbian translation, by ozzii (оззии).
v4.1.4 (February 9, 2013)
- Ukrainian translation, by Ura Chorniy (Юра Чорний).
- Czech translation, by Drusilla Peterek and Stepan Hasler.
- Polish translation of the help file, by Artur Łukasik (MAURYCY).
- Latvian, Polish, and Russian translation updates.
v4.1.3 (January 25, 2013)
- Dutch translation of the help file, by Frank Meijer.
v4.1.2 (January 18, 2013)
- Detect target version from explorer's version info, not from the OS. Now the tweaker works with exotic stuff like Windows 7 explorer on Windows 8.
- Slovenian translation update.
v4.1.1 (December 18, 2012)
- Hungarian translation, by Tóth Ádám.
- German translation of the help file, by Daniel Reiners, the first hero to translate the whole help file!
v4.1 (December 14, 2012)
- A help file.
- Update notification: A checkbox for not notifying about a particular version.
- Latvian translation, thanks Aigars Jacmenkins!
- Windows volume control (SndVol.exe) runs in higher priority for better performance.
- Fixed right drag detach on vertical taskbar ("Drag within/between groups using right mouse button" option).
- Rebuilt the portable launcher to support older processors (versions 4.0.4 to 4.0.10 supported only processors with SSE2 instruction set).
v4.0.10 (October 17, 2012)
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash.
v4.0.9 (September 26, 2012)
- Fixed the always-combine option and combining per Application ID in several situations.
v4.0.8 (September 18, 2012)
- Improved the always-combine option and combining per Application ID (fixes combining with a vertical taskbar).
- Fixed a possible crash when clicking on a pinned item.
- Dutch translation, thanks Frank Meijer!
v4.0.7 (September 2, 2012)
- Rebuilt the tweaker to support older processors (versions 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6 supported only processors with SSE2 instruction set).
v4.0.6 (September 1, 2012)
- Fixed the decombine-on-active-group option, which caused a crash.
v4.0.5 (September 1, 2012)
- Fix: The decombine-on-mouse-hover option didn't work correctly with show-labels on.
v4.0.4 (September 1, 2012)
- Improved the decombine-on-mouse-hover option, which also fixes a potential crash.
- Fix: It's now possible to interact with the tray icon when update notification balloon is visible.
- Language update: Slovenian.
v4.0.3 (August 26, 2012)
- The tweaker shows you a changelog before updating.
- Taskbar Inspector: A per-AppID option to group pinned items.
- Improved interaction with sndvol.exe, making volume controlling more robust.
- Fix: The "When not grouping, place new items next to the existing ones" option didn't work with pinned items.
- New language: Traditional Chinese, thanks HJL!
v4.0.2 (August 17, 2012)
- Fixed a crash when using the "When not grouping, place new items next to the existing ones" option (this time, hopefully, for real).
v4.0.1 (August 16, 2012)
- Made the "Double/Middle click on empty space" -> "Ctrl+Alt+Tab" work as expected on Windows 7.
- Added the option "Double/Middle click on empty space" -> "Ctrl+Win+Tab" for Windows 7. If aero is off or the tweaker runs on Windows 8, the option works like "Ctrl+Alt+Tab".
- Fixed a crash when using the "When not grouping, place new items next to the existing ones" option.
v4.0 (August 12, 2012)
- New program name: 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
- Windows 8 support.
- General stability improvements and bug fixes.
v3.4.3 (April 20, 2012)
- Simplified Chinese translation, thanks horan.
- Option: Toggle taskbar auto-hide on double/middle clicking the taskbar's empty space.
- Some minor improvements and fixes.
v3.4.2 (April 8, 2012)
- Fix: A Taskbar Inspector bug in the 64-bit version.
- Less disturbing update notification.
- Volume scrolling: If system is muted, the slider shows up, but you must leave the taskbar to unmute it.
v3.4.1 (March 23, 2012)
- Language updates.
- Fix: If decombine on mouse hover is on, group combines when closing with middle click.
v3.4 (February 27, 2012)
- Option: Thumbnails reordering by mouse dragging.
This option was requested since the first version of the tweaker, so here you go.
- Option: Left click on combined item -> Open last window if inactive, otherwise open thumbnail preview.
Suggested by mathrick.
- Option: Toggle mute system volume on empty space double/middle click.
- Update checker.
Now the tweaker automatically checks for new versions, and allows you to update with one click.
v3.3.2 (February 5, 2012)
- Fixed: Taskbar Inspector size didn't get saved.
- Fixed a crash in the 64-bit version.
- Added a Version Info resource.
- Other small fixes.
v3.3.1 (January 15, 2012)
v3.3 (January 15, 2012)
- Option: Left click on the active thumbnail minimizes the window.
Windows 7's taskbar provides no easy way to minimize a window in a combined item. The whell scroll options help here, but when a mouse wheel is not available (e.g. a laptop), they don't help much. The new option provides a way to minimize the active window by clicking on it's thumbnail.
- Fix: Multiple thumbnails now show up when grouping is disabled.
This bug existed since the first version of the tweaker. When grouping was disabled programs which used to show multiple thumbnails for a single window (like IE and it's thumbnails for tabs) showed only one thumbnail.
- Italian language. Thanks vfede!
v3.2.1 (December 17, 2011)
- When volume is muted, the volume control does not show up with mouse scroll.
- If mouse scroll volume control is on, middle clicking the volume control tray icon toggles volume mute.
- Fixed the autorun setting of the portable version.
v3.2 (December 3, 2011)
- A portable version.
From the setup wizard, you can choose to install the tweaker normally or to extract the portable version. The portable version works for both 32 and 64 bit systems.
- Option to change system volume by scrolling.
You can choose to enable this option for the notification area or for the whole taskbar.
- Option to open ungrouped items nearby.
In case you disabled grouping for some (or all) of the taskbar items, you have now the option to open them one near the other.
- Alphabetically sorting of items in a group.
- Brazilian Portuguese language. Thanks Carlos!
v3.1.1 (November 27, 2011)
- Languages updated, Portuguese was added (thanks Carlos).
v3.1 (November 13, 2011)
- More taskbar item hover options.
Now you can choose to show a list instead of the thumbnail preview, show a tooltip (shows only if the title doesn't fit), or show nothing at all.
- More combining options.
You can choose to combine (or not) your taskbar items. Also, you can set per Application ID rules for combining in Taskbar Inspector.
- New option: Reserve empty space on taskbar.
The tweaker has options for middle/double clicking the taskbar's empty space. It works great except when the taskbar gets full. This option reserves a little square at the end of the task list, where you can always double/middle click.
- New option: Hide the "Show desktop" button.
This option was requested several times, so here you go.
- Small fixes.
The most notable of which is that the thumbnail preview does not get closed when you minimize with the mouse wheel.
v3.0.2 (November 11, 2011)
v3.0.1 (November 11, 2011)
- Fixed a bug with "Decombine active group" option.
v3.0 (October 22, 2011)
- Mouse wheel options:
You can scroll between taskbar items with the mouse wheel, as well as minimize/restore a window when hovering a taskbar item or a thumbnail.
- Decombining the active group.
This option will keep the currently active group decombined, similarly to the "decombine on mouse hover" feature.
- New interface logic.
The options are now divided into three categories: Taskbar items, Grouping and combining, and Other, which will make it easier for you to navigate through them, and will make it easier for me to add new options. Special thanks to Arcyon for giving me some tips about the interface.
- Improved stability.
The previous versions had some flaws regarding thread safety. This could rarely lead to a crash, a Taskbar Inspector window that does not close, or some other issue. The new version fixes these.
v2.1 (June 15, 2011)
- Multiple Languages support.
- A several-times-requested feature to open pinned items with double click to avoid accidental clicking.
* The tweaker is now compatible with Dexpot's SevenDex feature. Note that if you use the "Don't group" tweaker option, force SevenDex's Application ID to group for the thumbnails to show up correctly.
* The installer works on Windows Server 2008 R2. I did not actually test the tweaker on this OS, but I've heard it works, so here you go.
v2.0 (April 18, 2011)
- An option to drag within groups, which enables you to group your taskbar items the way you want to using the right mouse button.
There's a bonus coming with that feature: you can scroll your mouse wheel while holding the right mouse button to show/hide labels of the group under the mouse.
- The tweaker is distributed within a setup package.
v1.8 (February 18, 2011)
- The decombine-on-hover feature introduced in v1.7 can also show labels when decombining.
- Taskbar Inspector can now be opened by left clicking the tray icon.
- The "Left click on grouped item" function is back. Although the tweak can be enabled through the registry, people wanted it back in 7TT, so here it is.
v1.7 (January 7, 2011)
- New option: Decombine on hover.
- New option: Make pinned items smaller.
- Removed option: "cycle through windows option" on "left click on grouped button".
v1.6 (December 11, 2010)
- 7 Taskbar Tweaker allows you to change Application IDs in order to group any items you want.
- You can choose which Application IDs should have label, and which should not.
- You can cascade/tile multiple windows.
v1.5 (November 27, 2010)
- Taskbar Inspector:
1. Reorder items within a group.
2. Per Application ID grouping options.
3. Multiple window closing.
- New option: Minimize taskbar items on middle click.
- New option: Show desktop or open the Alt+Tab window (Ctrl+Alt+Tab) by double or middle clicking the empty space on the taskbar.
v1.0 (September 30, 2009)