About

Hello and welcome to my blog, which is mostly about software I write, and a little bit about programming and reverse engineering.

You can contact me by email, or by leaving a reply below.

Posted at June 17th, 2010.

595 Responses to “About”

1. Joey says:

I hope all is well. Here wondering if 7 Taskbar Tweaker will receive any updates for Windows 10? It’s been a great tool but hasn’t worked for months. Thank you for the years of wonderful I did have with it!

7+ Taskbar Tweaker receives an update with every Windows 10 version. The last update, released on October (changelog), added support for Windows 10 version 20H2, which is currently the latest Windows 10 version.

What do you mean that the tweaker hasn’t worked for months for you? Are you using the latest version, 5.10?

2. Billy says:

If you could add an option to double click on empty space to open file explorer that would be so cool!

3. pb says:

New to win 10.

When (vertical) taskbar is grouped, left click on an item shows thumbnails for some items, which is completely useless for me, especially when there are 10 of those running. One offender is explorer. Some grouped items do show labels only, but only a select few, such as edge and process explorer.

I would like the behavior as in win 7, where only the text label is shown for all items when a grouped item is left-clicked, but I see no way to obtain that in win 10, including options in 7+TT. Is there a way? If not, is it even possible to implement that? And if, possible, would you do it?

Thanks.

–peter

4. pb says:

Ah, ok, thanks! That does indeed work. However, I had that set to tooltip, and now setting that feature causes the whole list to be displayed on hover. I only want it displayed when I left-click, and only a tooltip (if label truncated) when I hover. But, that is not as annoying as a dozen thumbnails where I can neither see what’s in the thumbnail (4k laptop display), nor infer the label that is truncated at 4 chars.

If it’s possible, maybe the two functions could be separated and a new radio button implemented under left click behavior. But, like I said, that is not a painful annoyance at the moment like the thumbnails were.

Part of the problem with having the whole list show up on hover is that I usually like to set the hover delay much shorter than the default, so that I don’t have to wait so long when I am hovering intentionally to see something. The result is that all sorts of stuff flashes when not wanted. Most things that happen “on hover” are just annoying, imho of course, and implemented to impress some executive.

It’s so frustrating that with every new version Microsoft makes the UI ever more annoying in their efforts to make it more “friendly” and “beautiful.” It’s beyond me why they don’t ever include “use legacy mode from last version”.

5. pb says:

Aha, most excellent. Thanks. Indeed that works. Sevenforums and Tenforums are the best sources imho. I never did that for win 7 because the first thing I did when installing win 7 was to disable Aero. Not an option in win 10, apparently, unfortunately.

6. pb says:

BTW, I think it’s amusing that the original developers called the taskbar the “taskband” as evidenced by the registry key name.

7. Korneliuz says:

Hi! Just reinstalled windows 10 and can’t get multiple buttons to combine together on the taskbar anymore. Thought you might look into that. Love the app, cheers!

Can you please provide more information? Which option did you try to use, what did you expect to happen, and what happened instead? A video or a screenshot will help. Also, do other options of the tweaker work?

• skyfox says:

as a user i’m finding 7+ tweaker very useful for controlling the volume of my pc ..but im worried about my privacy …i know you have on many occasions clarified that this is a safe software …but yk what i mn….as a programmer what would you suggest …people should check before downloading 3rd party software.

8. FT says:

Can you direct me to the Terms of Service or Terms of Use for 7+ Taskbar Tweaker?

I don’t have a licensing agreement or terms of use for 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. All I can say that it’s a free/donationware program, and you can freely use it for commercial purposes. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

9. Susan says:

I am trying to use Taskbar Tweaker on Windows 10 to reorder icons within a group. i.e. I have multiple copies of Excel open – they are in a “stack” on the taskbar – which is fine – I like it that way. But I want to swap the one on the right with the one on the left.
    It looks like I should be able to do this with Taskbar Tweaker and the option “Drag within/between groups using right mouse button”.
    I have tried and tried and I can’t get it to work.
    The other settings I have are:
    Grouping: “Group by Application ID (default)”
    Combining: “Use taskbar settings (default”
    I also don’t know what the difference is between Combining and Grouping – but they are both at the default setting.

Hi Susan,
      You’re probably looking for the option “Thumbnails” -> “Drag to reorder”. Regarding your other questions, please refer to the help file, it has a detailed explanation of the terms and options, with images.

10. Susan says:

You are right! I found the Thumbnails>Drag to Reorder shortly after I posted my question. It works perfectly and is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks!!

11. Masami Sugiyama says:

Hello, I’m pretty happy with your 7-taskbar-tweaker that could disable the lousy “always on top” fixed configuration.
    I tried to donate U$10 through Paypal but couldn’t because of my country (Japan). Do you know of any way-around ?

12. Bryan says:

I often have multiple browser windows open. There is a highlight in the Task Bar that shows which window I am looking at, but I think it is a lighter grey against the light grey. It is so mild that I literally have to get down close to the screen to actually see it. Would it be possible to give an option to select what color that highlight is? I want something that is drastically different than the Task Bar light grey.

13. Neal says:

Hello! I just wanna know if there are any fixes for this problem I’m encountering with 7tt. So, I have set the no_width_limit to 1 so that I could mount the taskbar vertically while having small task bar, and it manages to do so. The problem is that, when I startup (I’m on Windows 10 20H2), the icons in the task bar doesn’t decrease with the limit, so it looks like it was cut in half, the only solution I had found is that every time I startup, I have to move the taskbar horizontally and then take it back to vertical so that it would decrease and won’t cut in half. I have set the icons to small icons in the official taskbar settings (just to add).

I just want to report this bug(?) ’cause I really LOOOVE this program you’ve made! Cheers 🙂

Hi Neal,

I haven’t experienced this problem. Can you make a screenshot of the icons cut in half after a reboot, and a screenshot after you fix that by moving the taskbar?

14. Andrew Grant says:

I just want to start out by saying that I love 7+ Taskbar tweaker. There is one minor gripe I have with it though, the feature where you scroll the mousewheel to change the volume (Other taskbar options> Mouse wheel> Control volume when mouse is over> The notification area) works wonderfully with one monitor, but I recently got a second monitor and while it still works, the volume display shows up on the primary monitor only rather than their respective monitors.

When scrolling over the taskbar on the secondary monitor, I would like for the volume display to show up on that monitor instead of the primary monitor, if it is at all possible. The double click on empty space to open the start menu works in this way and I would like it to be consistent.

I have two vertical taskbars on the far sides of their displays and am on Windows 10 Education 10.0.19041

Andrew Grant

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the feedback. Achieving it with the modern volume control is tricky. Currently the tweaker just simulates a mouse click on the tray icon to make it show up, and its location is up to Windows. I’d have to figure out a way to intercept its creation and move it to another monitor.

The good news is that you can use the classic volume control that shows up near your mouse. To do that, you can use the sndvol_classic advanced option – right click on the tweaker’s tray icon and choose Advanced options. Refer to the help file for more details.

15. Yosef says:

I hope all is well. I stumbled across this app while trying to replicate a specific behavior, maybe anyone knows the solution, or maybe this feature could be reasonably implemented in here.

What I am trying to do is to have a program open, not just running in the background but with the window open and visible, and at the same time having it hidden from the taskbar, the ideal solution in this case would be “Taskbar Inspector” -> “Right mouse click” on any app -> “Hide from taskbar” (without minimizing it).

I have searched for a while now, but all I could find was solutions to “minimize in the icon tray while your app is running” but this is sadly not what I want.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Cheers

Hi Yosef,

This can be achieved with the DeleteTab Windows function. The tweaker doesn’t provide such functionality, and if it would, I think that it wouldn’t be very useful to most users since the hiding will only last until the window is re-opened.

16. eek says:

I noticed the virtual_desktop_order_fix in 7+TT no longer works on Windows 10 20H2. Not sure when this broke. Is there any chance you can fix this? Thanks again for such an amazing program!

17. Brian says:

I have used the Taskbar Tweaker for many years and it just occurred to me that I have never donated to help support you. I am very sorry about that and have begun to remedy it with my first donation.

I am very impressed that you have maintained this utility for so many years through version after version of Windows, quietly just doing a great job. I hope you are younger that I am because I plan to use the Tweaker until I die. 🙂

18. Mat says:

Your program is awesome! Volume up/down with mouse over taskbar is fantastic.

I have idea for a new feature. When I use programs and minimize them, they are displayed in same order (on taskbar) as they were ran for the 1st time. I would like last used programs to move to the right. For example if I use Chrome then Calculator I would like to click the program I used before calculator (that was Chrome) and instead of scanning 10 icons, I would know the previous program is just one icon to the left from the last one. Is it possible to do this? Shuffle icons on taskbar sorted by last opened time.

Regards,
    Mat

Hi Mat,

Thank you for the feedback. Interesting idea. Something like this is not possible at this time, but I might look at it for one of the future versions when I have some spare time.

• Mat says:

Not possible because you are busy or Windows 10 doesn’t allow you to do this?

Not possible in the sense that it’s not currently implemented in the tweaker. It surely is possible to be done with some effort, but it’s not trivial, and also it’s not a commonly requested feature, so it’s not a priority for me.

19. Light says:

“Donations to this recipient are not supported in this country or region”, It’s too bad I can’t make a donation.

20. MyNameHere says:

I got a Windows notification than an update to 5.10.1 was available, but the download failed.

21. MyNameHere says:

The dialog pops up: “A new version of 7+ Taskbar Tweaker is available. Current version: 5.10 New version: 5.10.1” I click on the Update button, and there a green bar travels across several times, the another dialog titled “Error” that says “Download failed, please check your internet connection.”
    I wonder whether it could be a firewall/AV problem. I will try downloading manually and get back to you.

22. paul says:

hi

windows 10 has just been updated to 21H1 which i believe is the may 2021 update and a very minor update. installing the latest 7+T beta flags up as incompatible, but so far its running fine

23. Helmut says:

Hi.
    Symantec is detecting a virus in the version 5.11.2.
    Please check this.
    best regards
    Helmut

Hi Helmut,
      That’s probably a false positive detection. False positives are unfortunately common for newly released versions of the tweaker. Please see the FAQ here and this blog post.

Feel free to contact Symantec about it. The incorrect detection is usually removed after a couple of days.