7+ Taskbar Tweaker

7+ Taskbar Tweaker
7+ Taskbar Tweaker allows you to configure various aspects of the Windows taskbar.
Most of the configuration options it provides can’t be tweaked using the taskbar properties or the registry.
The tweaker is designed for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

Download (portable installation available)

exe 7tt_setup.exe (1.39 MB, changelog)

Available languages:
Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Macedonian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian.

Beta version
exe 7tt_setup_beta.exe (1.4 MB, changelog)
More info about beta versions.

Demo video

Here is a video that demonstrates some of the tweaks:

Q: Which registry keys does 7+ Taskbar Tweaker modify? I don’t need extra processes in my system.
A: The only registry keys the tweaker modifies are its own settings. There are no registry keys for the options it provides. The tweaker does that by injecting a DLL to explorer, hooking/subclassing/some other methods of the dark side.
As for extra processes, the tweaker is a native program, and is very lightweight. It shouldn’t slow down your system, and uses an extremely small amount of memory. Also, you can hide the tray icon if you want.

In case you want to remove the tweaker’s settings from the registry, look for them here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7 Taskbar Tweaker
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (“7 Taskbar Tweaker” value)

P.S. if you’re a programmer, you might want to take a look at the 7+ Taskbar Tweaking Library.

Q: My antivirus complains about 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
A: It’s a false positive. I guarantee that the tweaker binaries (and any other files on this site, unless specifically noted) are 100% clean.
Also remember that the tweaker injects into explorer and modifies its memory, which is indeed suspicious.

Q: Can I Group/Combine/Label only some of the items on the taskbar?
A: Yes, use Taskbar Inspector.

Q: Can I use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker in a commercial environment?
A: Yes, feel free to use it wherever you want.

Q: Where is the portable version?
A: When installing the tweaker, choose the Portable type of install, as shown on the image below.
The portable version will be extracted to the selected folder.

Note: If the tweaker is already installed on your computer, the option won’t be visible. You can launch the setup with the /portable command line switch to force a portable installation.

Q: I want to report a bug/suggest a feature! What is the best way to do it?
A: Post it on the UserEcho page.

Q: I want to translate 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to my language.
A: The archive below contains the files needed to be translated.
Please read readme.txt before proceeding.

zip 7tt_translate.zip (753.2 kB)

If you are brave enough to translate the help file, contact me for the required software and files.

Posted in Releases, Software by RaMMicHaeL at September 30th, 2009.

3,992 Responses to “7+ Taskbar Tweaker”

1. steven bensky says:

Portable install does not look to be working.

Win7 x64
    7+TT v5.4

Select Portable
    Select Create Desktop Icon

Registry entries are added
    7+ Taskbar Tweaker.ini is not created
    inject.dll ends up in the instalDir (rather then in a /bin/ subdirectory)

Using the /portable command-line switch does result in the expected “portable install”.

PS: During the “portable” install, I did not use the default install location, but rather a location like, C:\DEV\7+tt.

Hi Steven,

When you choose to create a desktop icon, the installer reverts to the non-portable installation mode. You can see that the selection in the combo box changes.

• V@no says:

You do know that for the most people portable means settings in the same directory as the program not in registry or appdata, right?
        Adding a desktop shortcut should not disable portability.

2. Konrad says:

Are there any plans to display seconds on the track clock on all monitors? (At the moment, v5.4, full time is shown on the first monitor only)

3. Spidey says:

Hi I love the tweaker and have been using it for a while. I was wondering if you could add a mute an app toggle to individual taskbar items so people could easily mute one program, much like you can mute one tab in a browser. I thought it might be a good additional option for the tweaker if it’s possible.

4. Sean S says:

Thank you SO much!

Finally, a fix for the virtual desktop reordering bug! I have been looking for sooo long for something that fixes that!

5. Alex says:

Программа супер!
    Пожелание: можно ли добавить дату в панель задач, когда выбрана опция “Использовать маленькие кнопки панели задач”?
    или в какое-либо другое место на панели задач?

6. BratetsVolk says:

RaMMicHaeL, tell please, can I switch to the window just by hovering my mouse over the thumbnail? Now to switch, you need to either click on the thumbnail, or for example to turn the wheel. I mean, this scenario: I move the mouse over the buttons on the superbar, thumbnails appear, and then I choose which thumbnail to hover over to switch to this window instantly.

No, that’s not possible with 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.

• BratetsVolk says:

What do you think about this feature? This would speed up navigation between applications and windows of the same app. Now to work in the app what has few windows, you need to remove the combine on superbar, because inconveniently to switch between (too slow).

7. V@no says:

Has this website got hacked recently?

First I got an antivirus message found a 7+ taskbar tweaker in C:\Windows\ directory as trojan (which should be there in the first place), now trying view changes log for beta version on totally different network/computer, got redirected by security system in my router with message:
    Warning! The website contains malware. Visiting this site may harm your computer
    Description: Sites used by malicious programs, including sites used to host upgrades or store stolen information.

I know 7+ had false-positive history with some antivirus programs, but now after experiencing two unrelated incidents I’m a bit concerned.

• V@no says:

correction: “which shouldn’t be there”

No, the website wasn’t hacked.
      You’re right that 7+ Taskbar Tweaker shouldn’t reside in the Windows directory. The tweaker doesn’t require administrator rights, so it cannot do this even if it wants to. So it has to be something else.
      About the router message, as you have said, it’s probably a false positive message. You can contact the relevant antivirus company and ask them for a clarification.

8. BSW says:

Hmm, how to make combine group keep grouping although we close it and open again the apps?

9. N says:

Hi. I use Taskbar Tweaker to, among other nice things, scroll up and down on windows to minimize and restore them. Due to straining (like carpal tunnel syndrome or so), scrolling a notch is much easier on my hands than clicking. Thank you for your program and for your devotion. Also thank you for not requiring an account on a data collecting service (disqus?) to be able to merely comment on something.
    So I had this genius idea of scrolling up and down on an empty space of the taskbar to minimize all windows and bring them back too (and that is Show Desktop, Win+D). It makes a lot of sense. But scrolling is not supported under Mouse Button Controls. I’m only using “emptyspace|lclick – 1.” It’s a click to show desktop or reverse, that’s great, but scrolling would top it. I understand it may not be technically possible.

Another thing is that there should be a link/button to the Advanced Options from the main program screen. I set the notification area icon to be hidden and kind of forgot and never further explored the extra options.
    I also think, from what I remember, that I saw loads of people asking on the internet for a way to set a shortcut to show and hide the taskbar. This tool seems to do that, so having that option more visible and accessible would boost its popularity.

Thanks for the feedback!

But scrolling is not supported under Mouse Button Controls.

I don’t think that it would be a popular feature, but I can suggest a complementary program called X-Mouse Button Control. It allows to map mouse actions to events, so you can configure that e.g. a single click occurs when you scroll the mouse and the target window is the taskbar. It’s very flexible, and can be applied to any window/program or globally.

a way to set a shortcut to show and hide the taskbar

Looks like there are solutions for that. A quick search yielded this and this.

• BratetsVolk says:

You can get into Advanced Options by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner (shown in the screenshot). About hiding the superbar in one click there is a convenient setting (in the screenshot) – also, instead of the middle click, you can set right-click.

10. robert says:

Virus Scan show multiple virus ? on both versions beta and the older version ?????

Heres The SCAN LINK ……https://goo.gl/rpXn8M

Bkav HW32.Packed.DD2C

Ikarus Trojan.Crypt
    McAfee-GW-Edition BehavesLike.Win32.ObfusRansom.tc
    TrendMicro-HouseCall Suspicious_GEN.F47V0125
    Webroot W32.Trojan.Gen

Hi Robert,

These are false positive. And as one would expect, the beta version has more detections since it’s less popular. You’re more than welcome to contact the relevant antivirus companies and ask for a clarification.

Also, please see the FAQ above and this blog post.

11. gapps says:

Excellent. Just what I was looking for.

12. GWK says:

please update for Windows 10 RS4 Build 17115

13. GWK says:

not work Windows 10 Build 17115

14. krishna says:

Update it to work with the latest build of windows 10.

15. TheGardner says:

And again…
    …the first pre-versions out now for the Spring Creators Update (1804 version). Can you please alpha a 7+ TT version for the people running this early Windows10 update.

16. Drew says:

Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 and I’m having the same problem I was having before with taskbar tweaker. Fullscreen games (the kind that use fullscreen windowed mode) and youtube full screen leave the taskbar on top. This is really bad for a number of reasons. The only other changes I have done to windows is increase my default font size to 150%

Is there a way to disable the taskbar staying on top, I really love taskbar tweaker because it lets me ungroup and move around my programs instead of just having a grouped block.

Hi Drew,

When running a fullscreen program, the taskbar should hide automatically. The tweaker shouldn’t affect this behavior. Do you think that it’s an issue caused by the tweaker? i.e. does it work properly when the tweaker is not running?