7+ Taskbar Tweaker

7+ Taskbar Tweaker
7+ Taskbar Tweaker allows you to configure various aspects of the Windows taskbar.
Most of the configuration options it provides can’t be tweaked using the taskbar properties or the registry.
The tweaker is designed for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

Download (portable installation available)

exe 7tt_setup.exe (1.48 MB, changelog)
Latest version: v5.6

Beta version
exe 7tt_setup_beta.exe (1.48 MB, changelog)
Latest beta version: v5.6.0.1
More info about beta versions.

Demo video

Here is a video that demonstrates some of the tweaks:

FAQ

Q: Which registry keys does 7+ Taskbar Tweaker modify? I don’t need extra processes in my system.
A: The only registry keys the tweaker modifies are its own settings. There are no registry keys for the options it provides. The tweaker does that by injecting a DLL to explorer, hooking/subclassing/some other methods of the dark side.
As for extra processes, the tweaker is a native program, and is very lightweight. It shouldn’t slow down your system, and uses an extremely small amount of memory. Also, you can hide the tray icon if you want.

In case you want to remove the tweaker’s settings from the registry, look for them here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7 Taskbar Tweaker
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (“7 Taskbar Tweaker” value)

P.S. if you’re a programmer, you might want to take a look at the 7+ Taskbar Tweaking Library.

Q: My antivirus complains about 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
A: It’s a false positive. I guarantee that the tweaker binaries (and any other files on this site, unless specifically noted) are 100% clean.
Also remember that the tweaker injects into explorer and modifies its memory, which is indeed suspicious.

Q: Can I Group/Combine/Label only some of the items on the taskbar?
A: Yes, use Taskbar Inspector.

Q: Can I use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker in a commercial environment?
A: Yes, feel free to use it wherever you want.

Q: Where is the portable version?
A: When installing the tweaker, choose the Portable type of install, as shown on the image below.
The portable version will be extracted to the selected folder.

7tt-portable-small

Note: If the tweaker is already installed on your computer, the option won’t be visible. You can launch the setup with the /portable command line switch to force a portable installation.

Q: I want to report a bug/suggest a feature! What is the best way to do it?
A: Post it on the UserEcho page.

Q: I want to translate 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to my language.
A: The archive below contains the files needed to be translated.
Please read readme.txt before proceeding.

zip 7tt_translate.zip (753.85 kB)

If you are brave enough to translate the help file, contact me for the required software and files.

Posted in Releases, Software by RaMMicHaeL at September 30th, 2009.

4,394 Responses to “7+ Taskbar Tweaker”

1. Christopher Lopez says:

I keep getting error loading library (5).

I am on windows 10 pro please help.

2. Poor College Student says:

I accidentally updated to 1809, since I thought I was on the Semi-Annual Channel (~4 months delayed release updates) and not the targeted one.
    Will we have to wait till Nov/December before non-doners gets the 1809 version?
    If so, I’m definitely considering reinstalling my whole OS to 1803 so I can get this working again.
    Also keep up the good work, this is definitely an indispensible tool.

It’s nice to know that you value 7+ Taskbar Tweaker so much that you rather downgrade your OS to use it. No need to do it. I believe that the beta version works well enough, even if it’s still not 100% ready.
      I see from your username that you’re a student. Please email me and we’ll sort it out. My email can be found here.

• PCS says:

Well thanks, but no.
        I decided to roll back to 1803 (got my system setup in less than 20 minutes, thx to backups) and i’ll just wait it out.

3. jerome says:

Hi!

For many months, my explorer crashed many times. Easily 7 / 8 times per week.
    I’m not sure but I think the problem is 7+ taskbar.
    With 7+ v5.5.0.2 and 5.5.0.4 : problem
    With v5.5.0.3 and since i updated to 5.5.0.5, no more problem, no crash.

Eveything seems to be ok for me with the beta 5.5.0.5
    Personnaly, i stop now to update 7+ taskbar. I will update only i really need it!

(sorry for my poor english…)

Hi Jerome,

I assume that you’re using Windows 10 with the new October 2018 Update. v5.5.0.5 is indeed the first version which is designed around this Windows 10 version – v5.5.0.4 and v5.5.0.3 were designed around Windows 10 insider build 17713, and v5.5.0.2 and earlier didn’t support Windows 10 version 1809 at all. So it makes sense that versions before v5.5.0.5 had problems.

I understand that v5.5.0.5 works well for you, which is good to know, but I still suggest you to update to the next non-beta version when it’s ready (v5.6).

• jerome says:

Thank you for you reply.
        Yes i use windows 10 october update for around 3 weeks
        i was using 5.5.03 and 5.5.0.4 with windows april update 1803.
        i saw the new beta 5.5.0.6 but i don’t want to update ))))
        Everything is ok for me now!
        Thank you! 🙂

4. GWK says:

still same fatal error v5.5.0.6 for 17765.55

5. random_dude says:

Can I make donation via something called Webmoney ? this is my only option , I know it may sound weird but it is easy to explain : I live in Iran ! period !
    anyway .. I guess I should downgrade .. simply cannot live without 7+TT

BTW : sorry for poor English

cheers man.

6. Hacktor says:

Beta v5.5.0.7 still error with Windows 10 1809 🙁

Beta version 5.5.0.7 should mostly work on the new Windows 10 October 2018 Update. Note that in order to enable support for the update in the beta version, you need to insert a support code. Please see this post for more details.

7. Lang says:

Beta v5.5.0.7 works well on my pc but “Control volume when mouse is over: The Taskbar” doesn’t work. It works only in the notification area, but doesn’t works with the taskbar’s empty space. Pls fix it.

And I have to choose only one option between “Minimize/Restore when mouse is over: Taskbar buttons” and “Control volume when mouse is over: The Taskbar”?

So please add more option for “Control volume when mouse is over”, user can choose 1 in two these options:

empty space and the notification area (but not on taskbar items, users still can minimize/restore the taskbar’s items by scroll the middle mouse)
    Whole: empty space, the notification area and taskbar items (users can’t minimize/restore the taskbar’s items by scroll the middle mouse)

Many thanks.

Hi Lang,

“Control volume when mouse is over: The Taskbar” […] doesn’t works with the taskbar’s empty space.

That’s probably because you have another option that uses the mouse wheel turned on. Check, for example, the multipage_wheel_scroll advanced option.

You can choose both. In this case “Minimize/Restore when mouse is over: Taskbar buttons” will apply when the mouse is over a taskbar button, and “Control volume” on the rest of the taskbar.

8. Med says:

v5.5.0.7 still not working on Windows 10 with the newest update.

9. Gushan says:

We Japanese can not donate by PayPal.
    How can we get a support code ?

10. Vincenzo says:

Latest beta v5.5.0.7 not works on W10 October Update 2018. Taskbar crashes and block

11. Mat Gijbels says:

Great tool! Over time it has become truly indispensable. Thank you very much for this little jewel!

I wonder: is it possible to approach Taskbar Inspector programmatically? I wrote a small Visual Basic program that (among other things) filters the current list of taskbar items for later use, but this requires copying the Inspector list into the program manually. It would be nice if I could acquire that list from within the VB program. Is there any way to accomplish this?
    Thanks in advance for your answer.

• Mat Gijbels says:

Thank you! Will check that right away!

• Mat Gijbels says:

Sorry to bother you once more about this issue, but like I mentioned, my program is in Visual Basic, and I found out that the source code in your Library is (understandably) in C++. It would be way too much of an effort to translate that source code, only to save myself or others a couple of mouse clicks (for copying the Inspector list). And I can’t get the provided dll to work with my VB 🙁 .
        As a work-around, could I open the Inspector window directly (i.e. not via the Tweaker, although with the Tweaker installed, obviously) from within my program, say with a command line argument (e.g. “7+ Taskbar Tweaker.exe” -inspector)? If so, I can copy its content programmatically, and process it further.
        TIA.

I found out that the source code in your Library is (understandably) in C++

It’s actually C, which makes it easier to use from other languages. For Visual Basic it can be achieved with P/Invoke.

could I open the Inspector window directly

There’s no documented method, but it’s possible.
          You can use the winapiexec tool with the following command line arguments:
          winapiexec.exe u@PostMessageW ( u@FindWindowW Shell_TrayWnd 0 ) ( u@RegisterWindowMessageW "7 Taskbar Tweaker" ) 0 100

12. Shaun says:

Hi, I’ve attempted to install several beta builds but each time Avira says that the exes are infected with TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen .

Is it simply a false positive?

13. 7+ does not change the taskbar icon size in my win10 no matter what I do.

14. ibnMuhammad says:

Thanks for such an excellent tool, and for spending time on maintaining it!

Sorry if I missed the link, but is there any documentation for the various advanced options and their corresponding values??

I’m either trying to search for the meaning of some of these through the changelog or the comments section, or basically playing around to see what each option does – although none of them appear to work (except “tray_icons_padding”), even after ‘applying’; perhaps I need to restart the tool?

Thanks.

• ibnMuhammad says:

Stupid me, just noticed the ‘help’ button at the bottom of the ‘advanced options’ window! 🙂

On a separate note, unfortunately the classicshell.net tool is no longer maintained by original author; is it something you could consider taking up and maintaining?

Thanks.

I’m glad that you sorted it out 🙂

There’s the Open-Shell-Menu project which continues the development of Classic Shell. I don’t know how active it is, but Classic Shell links to it in its GitHub repository.
        In any case, I don’t plan to work on Classic Shell.

15. luk says:

Why You dont work in Microsoft?:)

16. Suha Aksöz says:

I’m willingly contribute for beta version. But unfortunately PayPal doesn’t work in my home country Turkey. Can you do something for this? I’m using Windows 10 1809 Build: 17763.107

17. Kurt Neuswanger says:

I want to stop Windows 10 from minimizing the focus window if I click on its taskbar tab (by mistake, for example). Does 7+ Taskbar Tweaker have a setting for that?

18. Jeremy S says:

I installed the portable version some time ago and never had issues with it, loved it. Recently our IT department migrated everything on our desktops to a network folder, off the C:/ drive. When this change happened, it somehow broke my install, and I have been unable to fix it. Whenever I run the setup.exe it asks me to reinstall or uninstall. When I try to reinstall it gives me an error:
    Error opening file for writing: C:\Users...\AppData\Roaming\7+ Taskbar Tweaker\7+ Taskbar Tweaker.exe

When I try to uninstall, the setup.exe just closes.

Any recommendations on how I might be able to fix the install?

It looks like 7+ Taskbar Tweaker is already installed on your computer under the path you specified (C:\Users...\AppData\Roaming\7+ Taskbar Tweaker\7+ Taskbar Tweaker.exe). You can try running it from there. If that doesn’t work, you can run 7tt_setup.exe with the /portable command line to force a portable installation, extract it to a different folder and use it from there.

19. GWK says:

wow thank for update work perfect Build 18272 🙂

20. Jairo says:

can you add the option to disable spacing between thumbnail preview and taskbar?

21. bearnakel says:

at last,
    you did it man, thank u

22. difool2nice says:

Some people are angry about the fact that it’s sometimes very long to have a final release of 7+tt but it’s always a good thing that you prefer to be long and have a ‘bug-less’ tool than a kind of update as windows 10 october update 1809 that have sent all of us to hell !

Great job and thank you !

23. Taylor says:

When I installed, my quick launch toolbar disappeared. Any idea how to get it back?

24. Taylor says:

Seems like an awfully strange coincidence that it disappeared literally the same second that I installed Taskbar Tweaker, but yes, I rebuilt it using the technique in specified in the guide.

25. Iqbal Hamid says:

I have used this utility for years on Windows 7 and it worked flawlessly. However, on my new Windows 8.1 machine, it does appear quite buggy!

For example: certain settings will randomly be forgotten and stop working. Explorer pin disaapears when I open an explorer window. System files start becoming visible when I have set them to be hidden. These are only what I have seen so far. I still feel the benefit outweigh the issues so will continue to use but I am left feeling a little apprehensive about explorer operations failing or becoming corrupted particulalry without my knowledge.

Brave attempt nonetheless by the programmer, but I think it needs to be rewritten from the ground up for Windows 8/8.1. I hope you have the time to do this.

Thank you for the feedback.

certain settings will randomly be forgotten and stop working

That shouldn’t happen and wasn’t reported before. Do you have a way to reproduce this?

Explorer pin disaapears when I open an explorer window

Same here. Does the issue happen when the tweaker is not running? If not, does it happen when the tweaker is running, but all of the options are turned off? If not, please find out which option causes the issue and let me know.

System files start becoming visible when I have set them to be hidden

7+ Taskbar Tweaker shouldn’t affect hidden files in any way. As above, please tell me how to reproduce the issue.

7+ Taskbar Tweaker should work as well on Windows 8/8.1 as it does on Windows 7. It was (and still is) used by numerous users on Windows 8/8.1, and you’re the first to report that it has such stability issues. That makes me wonder if you perhaps have an issue with your computer unrelated to the tweaker.

26. Yves says:

Version 5.6 doesn’t work. The update from 5.5 to 5.6 did nothing but uninstall it, the new package fails to install because it blocks its own files.

• Yves says:

Version 5.5 also can’t be installed anymore. Everything is broken now. It worked until a moment ago and I tried to update. 5.6 could be installed on other computers (Windows 10.1709) but this one is now broken. And it’s a relatively new installation of Windows 10.1803. Please advice to recover. I already deleted the start menu entries and installation directory. Didn’t help.

• Yves says:

Restarted Windows, same problem. The error message is “error overwriting file: %appdata%\7+ Taskbar Tweaker\7+ Taskbar Tweaker.exe” but the directory doesn’t even exist. How can it overwrite a nonexistent file in a nonexistent directory? Is there a manual installation method as the installer doesn’t work?

Perhaps an antivirus interferes with the installation. Several aggressive antiviruses or configurations disallow installations in the AppData folder.

You can try the following:
          1. Try installing the tweaker to the Program Files folder. You need to run the installer as administrator and choose the Program Files folder manually during installation.
          2. Try the portable version of the tweaker. See the FAQ for instructions of extracting the portable version.

27. B.E. Busch says:

I can’t get don’t combine & hide labels to work no matter what I try. Either I can hid the labels or not combine, but can’t do both like I could before the Windows update weeks ago.

28. B.E. Busch says:

I have no idea how I’d upload the explorer.exe file.

I have no idea how I’d upload the explorer.exe file.

You can e.g. upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link.
      I also see that you have additional customization, such as the centered taskbar buttons which 7+ Taskbar Tweaker doesn’t provide, so perhaps your other customization tools conflict with the tweaker.

• B.E. Busch says:

The centered icons are an option in DisplayFusion and I’ve been running that for a few years. It hasn’t been updated in several months.

Why the need to upload explorer.exe? It should be the same as any other PC running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, right?

It should be, but I have no other ideas as of why it works on my computer and not on yours. This specific option – to enable un-combining small icons – is quite tricky and relies on the assembly code of explorer.exe. So a different file might explain the issue.

DisplayFusion might also be the issue. Please try turning it off, and report back whether there’s still an issue with DisplayFusion disabled.