7+ Taskbar Tweaker

7+ Taskbar Tweaker
7+ Taskbar Tweaker allows you to configure various aspects of the Windows taskbar.
Most of the configuration options it provides can’t be tweaked using the taskbar properties or the registry.
The tweaker is designed for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

Download (portable installation available)

exe 7tt_setup.exe (1.48 MB, changelog)
Latest version: v5.6

Beta version
exe 7tt_setup_beta.exe (1.49 MB, changelog)
Latest beta version: v5.6.0.3
More info about beta versions.

Demo video

Here is a video that demonstrates some of the tweaks:

FAQ

Q: Which registry keys does 7+ Taskbar Tweaker modify? I don’t need extra processes in my system.
A: The only registry keys the tweaker modifies are its own settings. There are no registry keys for the options it provides. The tweaker does that by injecting a DLL to explorer, hooking/subclassing/some other methods of the dark side.
As for extra processes, the tweaker is a native program, and is very lightweight. It shouldn’t slow down your system, and uses an extremely small amount of memory. Also, you can hide the tray icon if you want.

In case you want to remove the tweaker’s settings from the registry, look for them here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7 Taskbar Tweaker
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (“7 Taskbar Tweaker” value)

P.S. if you’re a programmer, you might want to take a look at the 7+ Taskbar Tweaking Library.

Q: My antivirus complains about 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
A: It’s a false positive. I guarantee that the tweaker binaries (and any other files on this site, unless specifically noted) are 100% clean.
Also remember that the tweaker injects into explorer and modifies its memory, which is indeed suspicious.

Q: Can I Group/Combine/Label only some of the items on the taskbar?
A: Yes, use Taskbar Inspector.

Q: Can I use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker in a commercial environment?
A: Yes, feel free to use it wherever you want.

Q: Where is the portable version?
A: When installing the tweaker, choose the Portable type of install, as shown on the image below.
The portable version will be extracted to the selected folder.

7tt-portable-small

Note: If the tweaker is already installed on your computer, the option won’t be visible. You can launch the setup with the /portable command line switch to force a portable installation.

Q: I want to report a bug/suggest a feature! What is the best way to do it?
A: Post it on the UserEcho page.

Q: I want to translate 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to my language.
A: The archive below contains the files needed to be translated.
Please read readme.txt before proceeding.

zip 7tt_translate.zip (753.85 kB)

If you are brave enough to translate the help file, contact me for the required software and files.

Posted in Releases, Software by RaMMicHaeL at September 30th, 2009.

4,462 Responses to “7+ Taskbar Tweaker”

1. Thijs says:

Hi, wonderful program and thanks for sharing it with the world.

My question is regarding moving the taskbar to vertical position and applying ‘no_width_limit’=1 to make it small.

Even if I lock the task bar, when I reboot, the task bar is unfortunately wide again, even wider than without limit. How can I keep the task bar small without manually readjusting every time?

Thanks!

When 7+ Taskbar Tweaker is started, it should re-adjust the taskbar width to the last used “without limit” width. Is the tweaker being run on system startup on your computer?

2. Thijs says:

PS: Hmm maybe the solution for the small vertical bar is not to lock the task bar. Am I correct?

3. SID says:

Thank you for such a wonderful program.
    Can I a tweak for only just to get the effect of “no_width_limit=1”? As I am not using any other features of 7+.Also, this program needs to load at startup so it takes a bit of time to become narrow, I want to modify my system to get this effect, can I get help on this?
    I am on windows 10.

Well, this option is not built into Windows, and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker doesn’t just set a flag. The tweaker manipulates explorer to make the taskbar narrower, and thus it has to be running. There’s no way around it. See also the first question of the FAQ above.

4. Devon says:

Love your app, thanks so much! The download link for the latest version has been broken for a few days however, thought you should know.

Thanks, I’m glad that you like the tweaker 🙂 there were several issues with the website hosting lately, but I don’t remember that it lasted so long (a few days). Hopefully the issues are gone now.

• devon says:

Still not working 🙁 Error 522 from cloudflare

The file loads on my computer. Can you post a screenshot?
          I know that my hoster bans some IPs, e.g. users from Ukraine reported that they cannot access the website. But then the whole website is unavailable, while for you it sounds like only the exe shows an error.

• BorderXer says:

EDIT :
            It looks like it’s probably related to “HTTPS Everywhere”
            type extensions. I added rammichael.com to it’s whitelist
            (While on rammichael.com page, LMB click on “HTTPS Everywhere” toolbar icon, clicked check box for “disable
            HTTPS Everywhere”)
            After doing the above, I had no Err:521 (Web server is down) Cloudflare screens. (tried six times)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, clicking “Web page” attempts to open :
            rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

I’m guessing it has something to do with the newest
            update(s) of Firefox Quantum -&- “HTTPS Everywhere”
            and other such HTTPS forcing extensions.
            (it, of course, attempts to force it to:

Maybe it’s also relates to when, as it does for me, Firefox(FF)
            usually pops-up a “User Account Control” protection window whenever a new tab in FF, external to FF, is requested to be opened to connect to the internet.

Err:521( Web server is down)
            Ray ID: 4a88a0071d1a9edb • 2019-02-13 16:20:55 UTC

You Chicago rammichael.com
            Browser Cloudflare Host
            Working Working Error

• BorderXer says:

Due to continuous spaces in posts are reduced to single
              space, same as with most message forums, here is the
              end of my post again. I used thin-spaces & en-spaces for
              fine adjustments. (hopefully the columns below will line-up
              like I see them now) :

You _______ Chicago _______ rammichael.com
              Browser ___ Cloudflare _____ Host
              Working ___ Working ______ Error

5. Marchin says:

Hi i’m using “disable_topmost = 2” and it works great except for the start menu. I have the taskbar on the left, and when i open the menu it is positioned over the taskbar, and i have to close it in order to access my pinned programs. Is there any to move the start menu slightly to the right or show the task bar without opening the star menu with a single hotkey?

6. v1tesse says:

Hi, is there a way to hide labels for only some apps?
    So, most of my open apps have both the icon and text visible, but for some of them, I want to only see the icon.

That way apps like WhatsApp, where there is only 1 instance, take up less space and text for other apps is easier to read.

Taking another step forward, and I’m pretty sure I’m approaching feature request territory here – it would be cool to have right-click options to combine-decombine, hide-show label on a per-app basis

is there a way to hide labels for only some apps?

Yes. See the third question of the FAQ at the top of this page.

it would be cool to have right-click options to combine-decombine

Currently, there are the “Decombine: Active group” and “Decombine: On mouse hover” options. For now, I don’t plan other options.

hide-show label

Check the right_drag_toggle_labels advanced option.